Who is Hassan Mushaima?
Hassan Mushaima, aged 70, is the Co-founder and former Vice President of Al-Wefaq National Islamic Society, and was previously the Secretary-General of the Haq Movement for Liberty and Democracy – the biggest opposition group, which the despotic Bahraini regime dissolved in 2016. In March 2011, Mushaima was violently arrested and tortured by Bahraini security forces. After an unfair trial, Mushaima was sentenced for life, on the charges of “attempting to overthrow the government,” during the pro-democracy protests that took place in 2011. Hassan Mushaima has been subjected to humiliation, torture, maltreatment in Prison, the denial of vital medical attention, as well as limited access to the medication he requires for his deteriorating health, resulting in Mushaima borrowing medicine from other prisoners.
Mushaima suffers from various chronic medical conditions, including cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, and gout. His cancer is in remission, but he requires frequent screenings – which the prison authorities have constantly restricted without justification. The last time Mushaima was screened for cancer was in 2016, and last saw a physician in March 2017. Mushaima’s health is failing, and he may die unless the Bahraini authorities grant him his rightful demands and end their abuse.
His son Ali Mushaima started a hunger strike outside the Bahraini Embassy in London almost two weeks ago, as a final resort to stop his father from dying. Ali has vowed to remain there until the authorities in Bahrain provide his father with the medical care he requires, a permit for his family to visit him without having to see him in shackles, and for his father to be able to read books, including the Holy Quran.
It is imperative we use our social media platforms and highlight this case and ensure it is not ignored or dismissed, so be sure to use the hashtag #FreeHassanMushaima with each post/tweet! With this said, if you are able to organise or attend any vigils or demonstrations that will bring further light to this case, please do so!
We now urge you all to contact your elected representatives and highlight the case of Hassan Mushaima – a man who will die at the hands of the Bahraini regime – a regime allied to our governments in the West.
We must collectively exert pressure on our officials and on the Bahraini authorities. Below are the contact details for the relevant authorities you need to continuously contact:
For UK residents:
- Write to your MPs, urge them to intervene and demand a written response. You can find your MP here
- Contact the Embassy of Bahrain on (+44) 0207 201 9170 and email them: [email protected]
For US/Canadian residents:
- US residents: Contact your elected local/state/federal representatives
- Canadian residents: Contact your elected Parliamentarians
- Directly write to the Bahraini Embassy in Washington: 3502 International Drive, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008, United States
- Contact the Embassy of Bahrain in Washington on (+1) 202 342 1111 or email [email protected]
- Contact the Consulate of Bahrain in New York on (+1) (212) 223-6200 or email [email protected]
Directly contact the Bahraini Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- By telephone: +973-17227555
- By email: [email protected]
By Afreen Rizvi