AIM has issued a statement condemning Saudi Arabia’s execution of Sheikh Al-Nimr and the Kingdom’s continued human rights violations.
يَا أَيَّتُهَا النَّفْسُ الْمُطْمَئِنَّةُ
ارْجِعِي إِلَىٰ رَبِّكِ رَاضِيَةً مَّرْضِيَّةً
فَادْخُلِي فِي عِبَادِي
O soul that is at complete rest! Return to your Lord, well-pleased (with him), well-pleasing (Him), So enter among My servants, and enter into My Heaven!
(Holy Quran 89:27-30)
We are deeply saddened to learn about the execution of Sheikh Nimr Al-Nimr and other human rights activists by the tyrannical Saudi regime.
Sheikh Al-Nimr was a senior Shia Muslim scholar who spent a lifetime struggling for justice in Saudi Arabia. He was non-sectarian, condemned violence, and was a strong advocate of peaceful protest against endless human rights violations in the Kingdom. In July 2012, he was shot, violently beaten and arrested; and despite global protests, he has now been executed.
In view of the gravity of this matter, we would like to make the following points:
1. AIM condemns these executions in the strongest possible terms and calls on the international community to stand up to its responsibilities towards the oppressed and suffering people of Saudi Arabia.
2. Saudi Arabia has been committing human rights violations inside and outside the Kingdom for decades, and continues to suppress peaceful protests with unrelenting violence and force. This is a systematic policy to hold on to absolute power, whatever the costs, and further the Kingdom’s interests at home and abroad.
3. One of the main tools Saudi Arabia uses to further this policy is to promote a narrative of sectarianism, pinning Sunni Muslims and Shia Muslims against each other. It must be stressed that this is not a sectarian issue. Both Sunni and Shia scholars and activists have been persecuted, arrested, tortured and executed by the dastardly hands of the Saudi regime and its agents. We must be cognisant of this matter and have the ability to interact with wisdom and insight to counter this narrative.
4. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a vicious and despotic regime that will continue to promote instability in the Middle East and around the world if not confronted. Their support of terrorism − be it Al-Qaeda, ISIS or others − must be exposed. Their actions have brought misery and devastation to the lives of many, both inside Saudi Arabia and all around the world.
5. The irrational friendship that exists between Western countries and the tyrannical Saudi regime is a hypocrisy and double-standard which encourages these heinous crimes to take place. As such, pressure must be exerted on politicians in the West to end these relations or be held responsible for its outcomes.
In the end, we extend our condolences to the families and loved-ones of Sheikh Nimr Al-Nimr and the latest wave of martyrs. We stand in solidarity with them, united in our struggle against ignorance and injustice. We ask God to accept their ultimate sacrifice and to make us steadfast on the path of truth.
Finally, we pray that God hastens in the return of the Awaited Saviour, Imam Al-Mahdi (a).
Wasalaamu Alaikum Warahmat Allah Wabarakatuh,
Ahlulbayt Islamic Mission (AIM)
2nd January 2016
21st Rabi’ Al-Awwal 1437